- Supports the mission and activities of OCCAM's programs, coordinates strategic planning, and manages the office budget
- Provides expertise to NCI offices and programs for activities that involve CAM research or information products
- Responds to inquiries from the media, Congress, and other organizations
- Protocol and concept reviews for NCI programs
- Monthly Lecture Series
- Intern/fellow training in CAM research
- Analyzes CAM research portfolio to inform funding and policy decisions
- Advises researchers on how to prepare grant applications based on review committee comments
- Manages grant activities post-award
- Grant writing workshops
- Program Announcement series "Developmental Projects in Complementary Approaches to Cancer Care"
- NCI CAM grant coding
To learn more about research resources, visit the Research section.
To improve the quality of care of cancer patients by rigorous scientific evaluation of cancer CAM interventions and by the facilitation of prospective research with the goal of developing novel therapeutic interventions.
- Networks with and guides CAM practitioners on how to compile high-quality best case summaries
- Identifies novel CAM interventions for evaluation as anti-cancer therapies
- Reviews case summary data from patients who use CAM therapies for the treatment of cancer through the NCI Best Case Series Program
- Updates cancer CAM clinical trial listing
- Promotes and supports collaboration between CAM practitioners and researchers
- NCI Best Case Series Program workshops and presentations
- Published articles on Best Case Series Program
- Topic-focused roundtables
To acquire and develop high-quality information about cancer and CAM for NCI and for dissemination to the health care community, researchers, patients, and the general public.
- Promotes NCI CAM research activities, events, and initiatives
- Develops print and online information products on cancer CAM for healthcare professionals and the general public
- Conducts outreach activities and interacts with cancer CAM stakeholders
- Solicits input from cancer researchers, CAM practitioners, and cancer patients to inform research priorities and the development of NCI CAM resources
Major Activities and Products